DIVORCE: Very Important Issues To Consider
From a divorce in Nashville to the surrounding areas, when you’ve determined it’s time to end your marriage, your divorce is one of the most important and difficult decisions you will ever encounter. Richard is an experienced Divorce Lawyer who knows your divorce is an emotional matter, so you can depend on him to guide you on the importance of to approaching certain aspects of your divorce with an analytical perspective. This is a decision that should take into account numerous issues. Once you review the following list of questions, you may reconsider your goals — or you may be better prepared to move forward while working with a Divorce Attorney. Contact Richard Hedgepath, (615) 268-6575, an experienced Divorce Attorney, to help you along the journey.
How Divorce impacts Children
- Will your children live with you or your former spouse, or in shared parenting situation?
- If the children live with your former spouse, how often do you hope to see them?
- How will you and your ex-spouse make decisions concerning the children’s health care, education, extra-curricular, and religion?
- Who will pay for the children’s living expenses, education and travel?
- What if your ex-spouse remarries and the stepparent mistreats the children?
Child Support Payments after Divorce
- What about spousal support and child support? Will you receive it or need to pay it? How much and for how long?
- Will the spousal support or child support increase or decrease in the future due to changing financial circumstances, economic conditions or other factors?
- Who will be entitled to claim the children as exemptions for income tax purposes?
Your Home after Divorce
- Who will live in the marital home during the divorce process?
- Will one of the spouses keep the marital home after the divorce, or will it be sold?
- How will the proceeds be divided?
- If one party keeps the home, will the other party deed its interest to the first party?
- If the parties decide to sell the home, will both spouses be involved in the sale and closing?
- Who will decide the listing price and whether a real estate broker will sell the home?
- Who will be responsible for major repairs and the costs of preparing the home for sale?
- Who will be entitled to deduct the mortgage interest charges and property taxes for income tax purposes?
- Who will be responsible for any income (capital gains) taxes that are imposed as a result of the sale of the home?
Divorce Impact to: Insurance, Medical, Auto, Home, Life Insurances
- Will you maintain medical, auto, home and life insurance for you and the children?
- Will either party be obligated to provide medical or other insurance for the other? For the children? For how long?
- Who will be responsible for any medical, dental, prescription or hospital expenses of the children that are not reimbursed by insurance?
Divorce and Income Taxes
- Who will be entitled to receive any refund from current and past joint income tax returns?
- If there is a deficiency on any current or past joint income tax returns, who will be responsible for the payment?